Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Habba-Kadal

A Photo Essay on Habba-Kadal –
the long shadows of a sunny afternoon!
by Kapil Kaul
A sort of numb feeling seemed to catch hold of me after reading with great interest “the Homeland after Eighteen Years (A 48-hour Travelogue) by Dr. K. L. Chowdhury”. I remembered particularly my B/W photographs I had taken in 1985. Looking at these photographs now and reading Dr. Chowdhury’s account are worlds apart. During that time I had a strong feeling as if the birth place around me was getting alienated. Instead of talking about my feelings, I was driven by an urge to freeze with my camera the memories of that what was dear to me. (There were no digital cameras then) I would cherish to share with the readers of Shehjar those moments I captured 25 years ago through these images.

The mountain peaks of Kashmir Valley and the hill of Shankracharya Temple build a magnificent backdrop for Taj mahal-mosque and Somyar-mandir of the Habba-Kadal area of Srinagar city.

The bustling life at Habba-Kadal on a late sunny afternoon in 1985. The shadow of Purshyar side touching the Ghat of Somyar Mandir. But the upcoming calamity hat yet to throw its bloody shadow on the area!

Goods being transported on horse carts and raidas was a common sight.

Bhana-Mohalla side seen from Habba-Kadal with Hari-Parbat Forte in the background. The small lower house with the saddle roof (on the right with Wurusi- pat windows) was a shrine/temple where, I still remember a huge cry that Bhagwati had appeared (in early 70’s)

A favourite past time to stand on the pedestrian path of Habba-Kadal Bridge, watching fishers in their Shikara, as some ladies with children at the Somyar Mandir Ghat wash clothes.. The police posted at the Somyar- Mandir premises had long become a normal sight

View of Habba-Kadal from the local Pandit shop owners across the river opposite Somyar-Mandir

I asked for permission to take pictures from their shop window. These two Kashmiri Pandit gentlemen across the river opposite to Somyar-mandir permitted me to do so on the condition that I take a photo of them too. However they did not look into the camera…………..

They preferred instead this very familiar view from their window!

Veyth aayi Mahren soneye!. (D.N.Nadim)............. flowing through Habba-Kadal for eternity? 
posted by ..........vipul koul  edited by ..............ashok koul

2 comments:

  1. whether we like or not, we have to live with our memories of those times and pictures. the photo blog is valuable as a record of our history

    ReplyDelete
  2. whether we like or not, we have to live with our memories of those times and pictures. the photo blog is valuable as a record of our history

    ReplyDelete