Monday, October 6, 2014

ahead of Shaitan Nallah on !st September, 20 in Yes i am Kashmiri Pandit.

Travelogue continued ahead of Shaitan Nallah on !st September, 20


1st September, 2014 the Home on Wheels after refreshment at Shaitan Nallah stop proceeded further at around 1330 hours. The cloudy sky gave way to drizzly downpour. The drizzle made the journey more pleasant. The speedometer, as I had already made up my mind did not cross the figure forty. Side to any vehicle and no overtake reminded me of Pundit Gopi Nath a transporter of bygone days from Zaindar Mohalla. We used to call him by the name Rajea, he was known to his family members. In our childhood, Rajea used to give us joyride in his bus from Zaindar Mohalla to Badiyar and pay one takka ( 1/32 of a rupee) to each one of us for fair to get ferried across the river. His bus was affiliated to KMD (Kashmir Motor Drivers’ Association). Rajea was known for his slow speed. His conductor, Jagar Nath, while on way to Pahalgam was often heard cautioning him: “Vosta tangus dhi mahra side” (Master: “Give side to tonga”).
By the time I left Banihal town behind and was often changing the gear from 3rd to 4th and from 4th to 3rd to go ahead the steep upward slope of Digdol, the drizzle gave way to torrential rains. Viper did not let any droplet on the wind screen to make the view hazy. To share the view with others, left hand and the right hand shared the work. Eyes fixed on the road, left hand handled the camera and the right hand single handedly managed the steering.
Slow speed gave me the advantage of being master of the otherwise heavily traffic loaded road. Heavy traffic had already gone ahead and left the road for the sole driver. Ahead of Ramsu at one of the blind corners a car in fast speed from the opposite direction appeared head on abruptly. The steering made fast oscillations with vibrations. Each vibration too oscillated in simple harmonic motion. Timely brake on the wet road gave the Home on Wheels a left turn at 90 degrees, failing which it would be a fatal plunge into the deep down gorge. It was nothing short of a close shave escape.
Reassembled myself, I looked with a smile at my co passengers, my idol-my best friend Maha Ganesh and the pooja in roman script given by George at Ishvar Ashram Trust. Both seated on the front seat were in close harmony with a little dislocation caused by the jolt. I heaved a sigh of relief for Their survival, and expressed my gratitude to both of them for giving me life afresh. Surprisingly, no vehicle came from either side and the Home on Wheels escaped any fatal hit.
Around 1400 hours, lunch at Peeda refreshed me. Peeda is known for serving heavily loaded Rajma+Rice or roti with desi ghee. By twilight, I reached Udhampur. I selected an open and safe area on the roadside to make the Home on Wheels a bedroom for me. The mattress from the rear seat was spread to make the two front seats a single unit and a comfortable cushioned bed for me. At such occasions I thank my god for the size He has given to me that fits in any cabinet. Soon my fatigue gave me a sound sleep with occasional snores.
2nd September, 2014 early morning the Home on Wheels resumed its onward journey. 0730 hours, the Home on Wheels reached its destination. Ajay was already there to receive us all. The Home was alighted of its load after ninety-six days to make it a routine car again. load after ninety-six days to make it a routine car again.
·  load after ninety-six days to make it a routine car again.
· Updated at 11 hours ago o
· Updated at 11 hours ago

No comments:

Post a Comment