Thursday, October 13, 2011

Nehru in Kashmir

Nehru in Kashmir   by                                 VIJAY PARIMOO        
History books tell us that Nehru visited Kashmir three times before October 27, 1947. However, nobody has made a mention of his clandestine visit to Kashmir in wee hours on October 24 or 25 in the eventful year of 1947. Dr Jagat Mohini, popularly known as Mummy got married to a Kashmiri Pandit in 1947 when his first wife, Rattan Rani passed away. Dr Mohini arrived in Srinagar when the sub-continent was about to get partitioned. She recalled her memories in an exclusive interview with the author on a chilly December morning in 2007. “We came via Jehlum Valley Road in a motor car from Lahore where I was born and brought up. I was shocked to see thatched roofs in Srinagar. After first few days of my marriage, I came to know about the political activities of my husband, Umkar Nath. He was not liked by National Conference workers for his stand on Kashmir. They used to call him Pakistani Buta (Pakistani Pandit). They pelted stones several times on our house but my husband did not succumb. Soon I also started taking interest in politics. I was introduced to the associates of my husband. One of them was comrade Noor Muhammad. I was also introduced to GM Sadiq who was known for his communist ideology.” Mohini paused for a while. She stared at me and said. “Normally I do not give interviews. I do not know why I have been talking to you for an hour now. Any ways, I will tell you what exactly happened in the final days of October 1947.” Mohini opened a new chapter of Kashmir history. “My mother along with a number of refugees from Lahore had entered Kashmir. The government of India had arranged special aircrafts to airlift them from Srinagar airport. MY husband went to the airport to see off my mother. It was either October 24 or 25. I do not exactly remember the date. My husband waited for the aircraft. It was getting late. Finally the plane arrived in wee hours. I was awakened by the screeching halt of a vehicle outside my house. I went outside and saw my husband shaking hands with G M Sadiq. He was disturbed. We went inside and my husband narrated his tale.” He said: “While waiting for the aircraft, I saw a few shadows near the runway. I recognized GM Sadiq. Being a good friend of mine, I walked towards hum. There I saw, Hari Singh, Jawahar Lal Nehru and Sardar Patel. They were discussing something. Nobody objected to my presence. Sardar Patel told Nehru that he was committing a mistake. However, Nehru pacified him by saying, Sheikh Abdullah was truly secular and needed our help.” Then they left. Sadiq took me along. He offered me to drop me at my house in his Jeep. He told me that National Conference had reached an agreement with Nehru and the state government (then headed by Hari Singh). Power will soon be transferred to us (National Conference).” After a few days, the Indian troops arrived in Srinagar and Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah became the emergency administrator. Mohini’s interview was published in local English daily during her lifetime. The Voice of America held a detailed discussion on the interview on the day the interview was published. Nobody denied Mohini’s claims. Dr Umkar Nath was a man of integrity and had absolutely no reason for misleading his wife especially when the family had received some tough moments at the hands of National Conference workers. On October 24/25, Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah was in New Delhi enjoying Indian Prime Minister’s hospitality. Did Nehru take him into confidence about this visit? Yes, because GM Sadiq was present at the airport. Why did not this visit find a place in Aatish-e-Chinar? This visit proves that accession (if at all it was ever signed) was coerced.
The Indian leaders tried their best to woo Hari Singh to accede to India. Mountbatten, MKC Gandhi and Azad rushed to Srinagar one after the other to ensure release of Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah and to persuade Hari Singh to join India. They succeeded in their efforts. Sheikh Abdullah was released in September and ten days before October 27, Indian troops entered Kashmir. It all started on October 12. Pakistan government sent a telegram to the Prime Minister of Jammu Kashmir, Prem Chand Mahajan to inform him about “large number of villages (in Poonch) that can be seen burning from Murree Hills”, pointing out that as “Pakistan army obtains large number of recruits from Poonch” situation is “fraught with danger” to “friendly relations” that Pakistan wishes to retain with Kashmir”. Message also seeks restoring order and discipline of Maharaja’s troops. Mahajan, in his reply of October 15 complains of infiltration from Pakistan and stating that his government is” prepared to have impartial inquiry into the whole affair to remove misunderstandings and restore cordial relations. Mahajan followed his message with telegram to Quaid-e-Azam on October 18 stating that if Pakistan's "extremely unfriendly acts" are not stopped, Maharaja's government "will be justified in asking for friendly assistance". Reply of Foreign Minister of Pakistan categorically denies Mahajan's allegations; points out exodus of Muslims" from border areas of the State, and adds "We are astonished to hear your threat to ask for assistance from an outside power” with the object of completing "the process of suppressing the Muslims to enable you to join India as coup d'état against the declared will of 85 per cent of population of your State.” Message warns of "gravest consequences" if measures toward that end are not "stopped". Finally, message states that Pakistan government appreciates suggestion of an impartial inquiry and asks Mahajan "immediately to nominate your representative on the Enquiry Committee" whereupon “Pakistan government will nominate its representatives without delay so that the Committee can proceed at once with a thorough inquiry into the whole matter." Mahajan hinted at seeking friendly assistance which had already arrived a day earlier on October 17. A battalion of Patiala State Forces reached Srinagar the state on October 17. It took positions around Srinagar airfield and reinforced Maharaja's garrison in Jammu.The positioning of the troops unveils a conspiracy. How did Maharaja and Mahajan know that Srinagar airfield would be of vital importance in the coming days? Surprisingly Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah had an exclusive meeting with the Maharaja on October 16, a day before the troops entered Kashmir !           
Posted by :Vipul Koul  Edited by :Ashok Koul








No comments:

Post a Comment