Friday, February 3, 2017

16 Of The Most Stunning International Borders


A border between two countries is an interesting place one can visit. We in India have the border posts at many locations with Pakistan, but the one at Wagah is an interesting place with a spectacular change of guards ceremony held every evening at sundown. Sadly it does not feature in this presentation. I had the good fortune to have a birds’-eye-view of the entire stretch of the Northern part of India-Pakistan Border early morning, before sunrise, and fully lighted up as I was invited by an Air India commander to the cockpit while on board a flight from New York to New Delhi in 1993 while entering Indian airspace from the side of Lahore. However, I was pleased to be witness in person of borders at Netherlands-Belgium, where I could have one foot each in both countries at the same time, as also the border between America and Canada in Buffalo, close to the Niagara Falls, when I crossed from one to the other over the Rainbow bridge, given here in pictures. Out of all these, the border between the Vatican and Italy is the most interesting, just because you can’t know when and how often you are crossing it as you meander through the city, though I have no personal experience of it myself. I have also been to the erstwhile border between the then divided Germany at Charlie Check Point in Berlin. Now it has no significance though some traces of the divide and the wall can still be seen at places.
 
BL Dhar
 
 
 
alt
 
 
 
 
_BL Dhar

No comments:

Post a Comment