Wednesday, June 14, 2017

EXILE

EXILE
[Chander M. Bhat]
Kashmir!
the name
is enough
for me
while
in exile.

The mountains
playing fields
orchards
temples
lanes and
by lanes
my hope
in exile.
Thrashed houses
spring banks
markets
small culverts
roads
my companion
in exile.
Village fairs
call for Kulwan*
beating of drums
whistles
cleaning of temple spring
sweet memories
in exile.
Snow fall
dark nights of winter
evening at Mushteng*
watching the paddy
noise of Daavok*
breaks my rest
in exile
Chirping of birds
village show of dhamalfaqir*
following the tschinch*
grazing of cows
chorus of people
while sowing paddy
tempts me
in exile.
Village school building
temple and mosque
fresh water springs
Boni Bagh*
Devispath* and Goorinaar*
reminds me
of my childhood
in exile.
***
Kulwan: Cleaning of Streams for free flow of water to the paddy fields.
Mushteng: Village graveyard
Daavok: Scarcity of water during the paddy season.
Dhamalfaqir: A group of men performing village shows.
Tschinch: A group of men visiting village-to-village killing cats for fur.
Boni Bagh: Village market.
Devispath & Goorinar: Name of paddy fields.
Chander M. Bhat
POSTED BY ; VIPUL KOUL
 


No comments:

Post a Comment